The four public compost sites located in Sherburne County are now gated and locked and require all users to obtain a key-card to access each site. All residents of Sherburne County are eligible to obtain one free key-card. Key-cards do not need to be replaced annually. Replacement key-cards are $5.00.
To obtain your key-card for the compost site, go into Big Lake City Hall (160 Lake St N) during the hours of 8 am-4:30 pm. Please bring your Drivers License.
Your key-card will work at the four compost sites listed below:
- Becker Compost Site- 12456 153rd Ave SE, Becker, MN 55308
- Big Lake Compost Site- 18041 198th Ave, Big Lake, MN 55309
- Elk River Compost Site- 19000 Proctor Road, Elk River, MN 55330
- Zimmerman Compost Site. There is no address associated with this site. From Fremont Ave go south on Main Street past the City Park Ball Fields. Look for a posted sign that says "Leaf & Brush Site". Go south past the Park n' Ride lot and continue on the gravel road for about a 1/4 mile until the entrance of the compost.
Directions to the Big Lake Compost Site:
Follow State Highway 10 east to County Road 43; turn south on County Road 43 to frontage road; turn left on frontage road and follow to the 2nd driveway on right; follow driveway back to the site which is located behind the Public Works Maintenance Facility.
Commercial Users and/or for hire operators may purchase a key card for:
- $200.00 annually per vehicle;
- $100.00 for any additional gate cards.
Click here for the printable application. Please bring into the Big Lake City Hall when ready to purchase an annual key card.