Peddler / Transient Merchant Permit Information

To obtain a Peddler's/Transient Merchant Permit to sell within the City limits of the City of Big Lake, each applicant must submit the following:

  • “Peddler/Transient Merchant Permit Application” form.
  • “Big Lake Police Department - Authorization for Background Check” form for each person(s) listed on the Application (completed and notarized – original signed form must be submitted – photocopies will not be accepted.
  • Photocopy of a valid Driver’s License or State Issued Identification.
  • Application fee (non-refundable) in the amount of Twenty Five Dollars ($25.00) per person listed on the Application. Payment must be in the form of cash, credit card transaction, money order, or cashiers check made payable to: “City of Big Lake”. DO NOT mail cash. Cash payment is only allowed if brought directly into City Hall Offices. (If submitting information for multiple persons, one money order/cashier’s check for all individuals may be submitted [i.e., three sellers = $75.00 background check fee]).
  • A Certificate of Insurance (only required for transient merchants selling from a vehicle).

The approval process can take between ten (10) and fourteen (14) days from the date that all the above required items are received at City Hall. Failure to submit all of the required documentation will delay the processing of the permit application.

Applicant will be notified of the approval or denial of the application.

  • IF APPROVED, a fee of Ten Dollars ($10.00) is required for each person listed on the application for each day he/she will be selling in the City of Big Lake. This fee must be paid prior to selling. Multiple days can be paid for at one time, if desired. When selling, applicant must carry on his/her person a copy of the approved Permit Application indicating the days permitted to sell (this will be provided to applicant at the time the daily fee is paid).
  • IF DENIED, the applicant will not be allowed to sell in the City of Big Lake.

A copy of the Permit Application and the Background Authorization form are attached. If you have any further questions, please contact the Deputy City Clerk at Big Lake City Hall at (763) 251-2983 or by e-mail at