Welcome to the City of Big Lake Election Page!
Voting is an important right and responsibility for qualified U.S citizens. Voting gives you a chance to choose leaders and representatives who will make decisions on issues that are important to you.
Here’s how you can make a difference in the election process:
- Play a role in choosing our leaders and changing our laws by exercising your right to vote
- Learn about the candidates and issues before you vote
- Learn what’s going on in your country and community
- Contact public officials about issues that are important to you
2024 Election Dates
- Presidential Nomination Primary Election - Tuesday, March 5, 2024
- State Primary Election - Tuesday, August 13, 2024
- State General Election - Tuesday, November 5, 2024
State Primary and General Election Information for Voters
When voting at the Primary Election (August of even numbered years) – The State, Legislative, and Federal Offices are arranged in partisan format. On the partisan formal ballot, a voter must vote for candidates of only one political party. Voting outside of a political party will result in a spoiled ballot. None of the votes cast on a spoiled ballot are counted. Voters must adhere to the instructions advising the number of candidates that votes can be cast for under each office. County and Judicial Offices are non-partisan positions on this ballot.
When voting at the General Election (November of even numbered years) – Voters have the option to vote for any Office(s) and are not restricted to one political party. Voters must adhere to the instructions advising the number of candidates that votes can be cast for under each office.
Where to Vote in the City of Big Lake
There are three precincts for Big Lake residents. Locate your polling place by downloading the precinct map (PDF).
Voter Registration Information
Voter registration information is available on the Minnesota Secretary of State’s Website. Voters may register to vote on election at their designated Precinct. Click here to view proof of residency options.
Absentee voting is NOT coordinated by the City of Big Lake. All absentee voting is done at the Sherburne County Government Center Auditor / Treasurer’s Office located at:
13880 Business Center Drive
Elk River, MN 55309
Voters may visit MNVotes to find helpful online voter tools and resources including:
- Absentee ballot applications
- Track the status of your Absentee ballot
- Online voter registration application
- Polling place finder
- Precinct caucus finder
- Sample ballot viewer
- Voter registration status look-up
Information is also available on the Minnesota Secretary of State’s Website.