Congratulations to Council Members Elect!
Congratulations to Council Members Elect Ken Halverson and Kim Noding who won re-election to their seats at the November 8, 2022 General Election. Terms will begin on Monday, January 2, 2023 and they will take the Oath of Office at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, January 11, 2023 in the City Council Chambers.
Welcome to the City of Big Lake Election Page!
Voting is an important right and responsibility for qualified U.S citizens. Voting gives you a chance to choose leaders and representatives who will make decisions on issues that are important to you.
Here’s how you can make a difference in the election process:
- Play a role in choosing our leaders and changing our laws by exercising your right to vote
- Learn about the candidates and issues before you vote
- Learn what’s going on in your country and community
- Contact public officials about issues that are important to you
November 8th General Election Sample Ballots and Notices
- Big Lake City P-1 Sample
- Big Lake City P-2 Sample
- Big Lake City P-3 ISD 727 Sample
- Big Lake City P-3 ISD 882 Sample
- Published Election Notice and Notice of Public Accuracy Testing
- Precinct 1 Election Notice
- Precinct 2 Election Notice
- Precinct 3 ISD 727 Election Notice
- Precinct 3 ISD 882 Election Notice
Local City of Big Lake Candidates
City of Big Lake Voters will elect the following at the November 8, 2022 General Election:
Two (2) City Council Members (4-yr. terms)
- Filings Opened on – TUESDAY, AUGUST 2, 2022
- Filings Closed on – TUESDAY, AUGUST 16, 2022
- Filing Notice
- 2022 Big Lake City Council Member Candidate Packet
Affidavits of Candidacy
Two (2) Council Member Seats (4-year term)
Candidate Financial Reports
- Campaign Financial Reports
Campaign Financial Reports Certification of Filings
The Big Lake City Council officially appointed judges for the November 8th General Election at their meeting on September 28th. If you are interested in serving as an election judge for the 2024 elections, please contact the City Clerk's Office.
State Primary and General Election Information for Voters
When voting at the Primary Election (August of even numbered years) – The State, Legislative, and Federal Offices are arranged in partisan format. On the partisan formal ballot, a voter must vote for candidates of only one political party. Voting outside of a political party will result in a spoiled ballot. None of the votes cast on a spoiled ballot are counted. Voters must adhere to the instructions advising the number of candidates that votes can be cast for under each office. County and Judicial Offices are non-partisan positions on this ballot.
When voting at the General Election (November of even numbered years) – Voters have the option to vote for any Office(s) and are not restricted to one political party. Voters must adhere to the instructions advising the number of candidates that votes can be cast for under each office.
Where to Vote in the City of Big Lake
There are three precincts for Big Lake residents. Locate your polling place by downloading the precinct map (PDF).
Voter Registration Information
Click here for information on pre-registering to vote.
Voter registration information is available on the Minnesota Secretary of State’s Website. Voters may register to vote on election at their designated Precinct. Click here to view proof of residency options.
Absentee Voting for the General Election will begin Friday, September 23, 2022. Absentee voting is NOT coordinated by the City of Big Lake. All absentee voting is done at the Sherburne County Government Center Auditor / Treasurer’s Office located at:
13880 Business Center Drive
Elk River, MN 55309
Click here to apply to vote by absentee.
Voters may visit MNVotes to find helpful online voter tools and resources including:
- Absentee ballot applications
- Track the status of your Absentee ballot
- Online voter registration application
- Polling place finder
- Precinct caucus finder
- Sample ballot viewer
- Voter registration status look-up
Information is also available on the Minnesota Secretary of State’s Website.