Welcome to the City of Big Lake Election Page!
CONGRATULATIONS NEWLY ELECTED COUNCIL MEMBERS PAUL KNIER AND MIKE WALLEN. Paul and Mike will be sworn into office in the early part of January.
Voting is an important right and responsibility for qualified U.S citizens. Voting gives you a chance to choose leaders and representatives who will make decisions on issues that are important to you.
Here’s how you can make a difference in the election process:
- Play a role in choosing our leaders and changing our laws by exercising your right to vote
- Learn about the candidates and issues before you vote
- Learn what’s going on in your country and community
- Contact public officials about issues that are important to you
2018 Election Dates
- General Election Day - Tuesday, November 6, 2018
Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.
- City of Big Lake Public Accuracy Testing will be held on Tuesday, October 30th at 9:00 a.m. in the Big Lake City Council Chamber located at 160 Lake Street North. This testing is open to the public.
Where to Vote in the City of Big Lake
There are three precincts for Big Lake residents. Locate your polling place by downloading the precinct map (PDF).
Voter Registration Information
Voter registration information is available on the Minnesota Secretary of State's Website. The deadline for pre-registering to vote is Tuesday, October 16th. Voters may register to vote on election at their designated Precinct. Proof of residency options are available from: https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/register-to-vote/register-on-election-day/.
All absentee voting is done at the Sherburne County Government Center Auditor / Treasurer's Office located at:
13880 Business Center Drive
Elk River, MN 55309
Apply to vote by absentee at: https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/other-ways-to-vote/.
Voters may visit MNVotes to find helpful online voter tools and resources including:
- Absentee ballot applications
- Absentee ballot look-up
- Online voter registration application
- Polling place finder
- Precinct caucus finder
- Sample ballot viewer
- Voter registration status look-up
Information is also available on the Minnesota Secretary of State's Website.
Candidates for Mayor/City Council Seats
The City of Big Lake is comprised of a Mayor and four City Council Members. Candidates must reside within the City of Big Lake Municipal boundaries. All candidates running for an elective office must be 21 years of age upon assuming office. The Mayor and each City Council Member are elected to a four-year term. The 2018 municipal election will consist of electing two (2) Council Members whose terms will commence in January 2019. Municipal elections are non-partisan and names are placed on the ballot without party designation.
Candidates who have filed an Affidavit of Candidacy (listed in order of filing). Click on candidates name to access a copy of their filed Affidavit: