Requirements for Installation of Sewer & Water
- No curb stops in the driveway. If a curb stop is placed in the driveway, contact the Public Works Department at 763-263-2268 or the Building Inspector at 763-263-5440 before starting work.
- The curb stop must have concrete block placed under it
- Water line must be a minimum of one inch Type K copper
- Water lines must be insulated if less than eight feet deep with two inch thick by four foot wide high-density Styrofoam; water lines less than six feet deep must be insulated with three inch thick by eight foot (8') wide high-density Styrofoam.
- Water lines placed under driveways must be insulated with two inch thickness by four foot wide high-density Styrofoam.
- The water must have an inside valve with a flared connection
- No couplings allowed unless approved by the City of Big Lake including the area from the curb stop to the first valve in the house.
- Water line must be flushed after installation
- After inspection by the City, water must be shut off at the curb stop.
- All curb boxes must have a rod installed
- Curb box top must be level with surface
- If water line is installed during the winter and can't be tested by turning on the water, air testing must be done at the time of the initial inspection; minimum 80pounds per square inch.
- Sewer line must be SDR.35 ASTM SPEC D3034 and no less than four inch diameter.
- Sewer must have a clean out within two feet of the outside wall and every seventy-five feet thereafter. Clean out must have a minimum metal one foot stake installed next to it. At no time may the outside clean out be located under a structure / deck unless it is a minimum forty-eight inches above grade.
- A twelve gauge copper wire must be run on top of the sewer for locating purposes.
- Sewer line must have a minimum one-eighth inch per foot slope.
- Industrial buildings must have testing manhole on service line to building.
- Sewer line must be pressure tested, 5 pounds per square inch minimum.
- Contractor shall obtain a sewer / water dig-in permit at City Hall prior to starting work; the contractor will be notified of the permit fee.
- Contractor shall provide the City of Big Lake with a general liability certificate of insurance in the amount of $100,000 minimum.
- Contractor must have work inspected by the Public Works Department. Curb stop / box must be inspected and approved by the Public Works Department prior to Building Final. Please schedule inspections through the Public Works Department by calling 763-263-2268.
- All trenches must meet OSHA standards
- The City shall charge the contractor for labor and material if improperly installed.
- Anyone conducting plumbing activities must provide evidence of a $25,000 code compliance bond. Must also provide evidence of having a pipe layer certification card or plumber's license.
- Plumbing Activities:
- Connecting a building to septic tank or main.
- A building to a water source.